Saturday, March 21, 2009

Where do you shop?

So you ask, Julia...where do you shop?  I am so glad you asked!  I would also LOVE to hear where you shop, maybe there is a single stone I have left unturned out there.  I don't doubt there is, please share. 

Groceries:

Safeway
  • A lot of times I make my meal plan based on what's on sale at Safeway that week.
Grocery Outlet
  • Never know what you're going to find here!  This is a store I caution you to be prepared in advance for, it's easy to sway from your list with some many great deals.  It is ok to do so once in a while, but you can easily over-spend here.
$99 Cents Only Store
  • Best place for discount produce, unless it is in season, then sometimes you can find it cheaper at Safeway or the farmers market.
Costco
  • We have certain staples we always buy here.  I will buy these things at Safeway too, but I rarely find them at a cheaper price anywhere else.  I have taken the time to list the items I buy regularly at the price per ounce, so I am positive if it is deal or not.
Farmer's Market
  • A great place to get your fruit and veggies, especially if you go near the end you can get   great prices.  They need to move the fruit, so they will give you bags for a set price.

Toiletries:
 
Walmart
  • Walmart and Target are very comparable in price for toiletries, however on average Walmart is a few cents cheaper. 
Target
  • Great place if you have a variety of items to buy, bring your coupons!
Costco
  • Bulk.  :)
Grocery Outlet
  • Again, you never know what you're going to find here but most of the time it going to be a good deal.  However I was just there tonight and have decided that it is NOT the place to buy chips, for whatever reason they are single-handedly the highest price on chips around.

Clothes:

Goodwill & The Salvation Army
  • Note: Goodwill rarely has sales, when they do they seem to be on holidays, ie Labor Day and 4th of July.  The Salvation Army on the other hand has sales on a regular basis, most of the time it is sorta random I just pull up and see the gazillion yellow flyers taped inside the windows.  However, you can always count on the LAST FRIDAY of EVERY MONTH to be a 50% off storewide sale. But be prepared, it gets very crowded.
Teen Challenge
  • This is my favorite thrift store, always a great deal to be found here.  
Garage Sales...boy I can't wait for the summer!  Nothing can be a garage sale price!

I go into each store armed with a list of what I need, my envelopes, and my coupons!  While you can't always use coupons, I have never had anyone turn away my cash.  Happy Shopping!

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! THANKS! In our household we are down to one income...mine (teacher)as you well know we do not make very much money, so finding deals is very important to me!! I too do the Goodwill shopping, especially for playclothes for my kids...they grow so fast! We have several competitive grocery stores and Costco...so my goal is to read the flyers as well and I try to buy 2 sunday papers to get double coupons.
    Keep those tips comimg...I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea on purchasing 2 Sunday papers! I might just have to start that today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete